Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Latest and Greatest

I bought some minutes at an internet cafe and soon the school should have internet access again, so I am officially back online.
I've been back for a week now, it actually feels like longer than that. I guess I have been busy enough and jet-lagged enough that my sense of time passage is not what it should be. So anyhow, here's the latest and greatest with me.
My new apartment is wonderful. Perhaps it is a little cold with no central heat, but I do have a perfectly good heater in my room so no complaints there. My roommates are great, as if I even needed to mention that. I feel like I am living my high school fantasy of living with two of my best friends, only I don't think I ever pictured it being in Cairo. The only bad thing about our new place is the location. I don't feel particularly at risk while I'm in my apartment, but there are these bridges I have to cross just about anytime I want to go anywhere. These bridges are really a bit sketchy and I hate having to cross them by myself.
My job is really good. My kids are all doing well, even the one kid who has given me a hard time all year. So things are looking good there. Today I started working on a teaching certification, which I hope to finish by the end of July. It won't qualify me to work in public schools in the States, but it my help in my continued education either at UGA or ASU. It also may be enough to work in some private schools. We shall see.
Church is good, but I am working on minimizing my commitments and responsibilities there. With all the extra work for this teaching certification, I just don't think that it would be wise to continue with everything I have been doing in the past. I think I devote about 20 hrs/month to my cell group (at least). And I give approximately another 20 hrs/month to various music/worship team commitments. So cutting those commitments down to about one fourth of what they are right now would be ideal I think. So wish me (the girl who can't say no to anyone)luck with that.

1 comment:

patrick | steed said...

BOOOO dottie in cairo.