Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

So maybe I still have no job.

And maybe I am still headed towards broke.

But I got offered a trip to the Bahamas to go diving! And I am going!! It is already paid for, I just have to pay the guy back at some point (he knows I am about to be jobless and it may be some time before I can pay for it all).

So here is the story of my how this all came about:
Last Saturday I went out with Alice for her birthday. We did dinner at Teresa's and then to the Firehouse for drinks. While we were at the Firehouse, two guys come up and introduce themselves. One of the guys recognizes me because we went to freaking middle school together. He vaguely seemed familiar, but placing a grown man as a 12 year old boy can be quite difficult. So we talked for a while and, as it turns out, he was one of the wretched children who teased me mercilessly back in the day (this is a somewhat unrelated point, but I found it humorous). He even remembered my big, goofy, pink glasses and the fact that my real name was Dorothy. Crazy. So anyhow, he was wearing a cap that said something about diving on it. So I asked him about it and we discovered that we were both divers. This led to the fact that he had paid for him and a friend to go on this diving trip with Neptune Dive and Ski to the Bahamas, but unfotunately, the friend backed out. He offered the trip to me FOR FREE! I told him I needed to ponder on it for a day or two and get more info. I pondered. We talked over the phone about the trip some more today. I decided I really, really, really wanted to go. I also decided I should not accept a free trip from a guy I haven't seen in over ten years. However, I decided that I was ok with accepting a trip that I would pay back. So on October 18-22 I will be diving in the Bahamas! Life is beautiful. Even if I am about to be a jobless bum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I've been a jobless bum a number of times, but I've never been to the Bahamas. What am I doing wrong??
Have fun!!
Heather :)

Mike L. said...

I've seen this movie before. If I remember right, you are going to find out that the reservations for 2 rooms are lost and only one room is available at the hotel.

I give him credit, that is a sweet pickup routine. I should have thought of that when I was single.

Dottie said...

First of all, we are on a boat, not in a hotel (not that that really makes a huge difference). Second of all, we are going with a whole group from Neptune Dive & Ski and won't be in a room alone. Third of all, it's not like that. Fourth of all, diving is my happy place and I don't really care what anybody thinks about me taking this trip. It is a great opportunity that just so happened to come at a time when I am actually able to do it. So that's that.