Saturday, November 12, 2005

A Long Week

So I haven't posted for a week now and that is not like me at all, but this week was particularly busy and long and tiring. So I now have stored up a few amusing stories, a few scary stories, and a thought or two. Here goes.

Yesterday at church I was on the worship team. So I'm standing up on stage just before the service starts and I spot my two roomies Sara and Esther. Esther and I have this thing where we wink at each other. So she winks at me and I wink back. Just as I was winking I realized that the father of one of the girls in my class is standing right in front of Esther and looking at me as if to say "why are you winking at me?" Yikes. That's not good.

Earlier this week Esther and another friend were walking down the streets of Maadi. Randomly, an Egyptian guy in a parked car yells to them out of the window "Dottie Wottie Lee!" Now the only place they could have gotten that name is from this blog, I think. So that's weird enough. But why would they yell that out and Esther and some other friend of mine. Truly bizarre. I might be reaching the celebrity status that Sara has around here.

Thursday night I went to the opera. I saw Madame Butterfly. What a wonderful escape from the rest of the week. Wonderful costumes and sets. Gorgeous singing from the baritone, mezzo, and tenor. Though I must say that the soprano's voice was obnoxious at times, the acting was not great, and the orchestra was over bearing. But on the whole, I can't think of a better way to spend $6 or $7. I love the affordability of Egypt.

Alright, this is my last blerb for this blog and I'll save the rest for another time. Yesterday at church, the pastor talked about helping each other grow in Christ. One of his points was that by affirming each others worth we help them grow, and one of the ways that we affirm is by accepting others. I automatically thought to myself ,"oh well that is no problem for me, I accept people just as they are most of the time." Then he goes on to talk about how we measure people against our own strengths. For example, if you are a punctual person doesn't it just bug you when others are late. If you are a particularly tidy person, do you find yourself going into others people's homes, car, or offices and thinking how you are better than them at keeping things neat and organized. Or if you are a free spirit, can you just not understand how some people can't seem to do even small spontaneous things like clap their hands during worship. Then I thought, "oh well maybe I do do that sometimes." His point was that you know you have accepted someone when you stop insisting that they act like you. It's an easy enough concept, but putting it into practice may prove more difficult.

3 comments:

patrick | steed said...

DOTTIE WOTTIE LEE!!!

Time to fess up. That was me that drove by and said that. I wanted to surprise you, but then I forgot and flew back to the states. So...

SURPRISE!!!

Dottie said...

WOW! What a suprise. I mean I never would have guessed you Pat. And cleverly diguised as an Egyptian no less. You're good.

Dottie said...

Hi Dottie! I am a fellow Dottie who used to have the nickname "Dottie Wottie" in school! LOL I found your blog when I saw on my stat counts that someone had found me by using "Dottie" as a search term and yours showed up, too! Egypt sounds like an amazing adventure!