Saturday, November 19, 2005

Music Therapy

A few weeks ago, I was over at the apartment of one of my coworkers. We were hanging out, making Christmas cards, and watching Friends episodes. We spent all day doing this and it was a good time. We got to talking about everything from our favorite musicians to thoughts on getting older to things we miss about being home. I shared with her that one thing I miss about home is playing my own music. I used to play in coffee shops and on street corners and the occassional bar. Now I play at church and that's it. Don't get me wrong I love playing at church, it's the place where I picked up guitar. Church is where I realized I loved, loved, loved singing. Church is kind of like home base for me when it comes to music. But I really do miss performing the songs I've written. I miss doing some of those songs that I didn't write, but I relate to them so much that it feels like I did.
So anyhow, my friend Dorothee (yes she has the German version of my name), came up to me a few days later and said that she would really like to do some kind of get together at her house. I would play. She would host and organize/prepare snacks and drinks. Friends and co workers would come. And so I said that it sounded like a wonderful idea to me.
Lat night was the night. It was so nice for me. I love playing and singing so much. It is a mood enhancer for me. I felt like I was on a high when I was finished with it all. It was also a nice reassurance that just because I hadn't done some of those songs for quite some time, didn't mean that I couldn't still perform them.
So Dorothee, if you read this blog, thanks so much for giving me that opportunity. You are a real gem and I am so glad we are working together this year. Also, if you need a roommate Esther and I would love sharing an apartment with you!

No comments: