Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Little Out of Touch

I rarely go so long between posts, but my lack of recent posting is due to a number of reasons including, but not limited to:

1. I have no computer at my apartment. All personal computer and internet activities must be done during my lunch break at work or when I come in early to work.

2. I have actually been really busy for the last two weeks. Work is busy. Church is busy. And I'm actually getting some pet sitting jobs through the pet care agency I signed on with. All of these things are going well, but keeping me busy.

3. I haven't had much to say and the things I did have to say weren't particularly amusing or interesting. So just not much motivation to post.

So here I am on my lunch break and I am finally caught up with all my regular emailing and online bill paying, etc. I still don't have much to say, but I'll give you the latest on life in North Carolina.

I'm still enjoying my job very much, especially now that I have a little more job security. It is a busy office and sometimes almost too busy and sometimes not quite so busy. But generally I don't feel too stressed nor am I ever at a loss for something to do. My boss is a good guy with a slightly odd sense of humor. It is a good fit for me.

My apartment is feeling more like home everyday. As I said in my last post, I now have a bed and an incredible comfy chair. Also, my parents came to visit this past weekend and brought up my boxes with some of my wall art and family pictures. They also bought me some groceries while they were here. It was superb. Also, I arranged area rugs and decorative pillows to create seating areas in my livingroom while I am without a sofa and other chairs. So it has a sort of homey look and feeling despite the lack of furniture. I really like having my own place and not feeling like I am ever encroaching on someone else's space. I might end up getting a roommate somewhere down the line, but I am in no immediate rush for it.

Church is going very well. Our attendance for the last two Sundays has been 14 both weeks! And that's including the fact that four of our regulars were not there this past Sunday! That is some pretty good growth. Now we just have to keep them coming. Greenleaf is also having their very first, first home group meeting tonight. I am excited. I love home groups. Especially as the church grows in number, the home group is where real community and relationship happens. In addition to getting a home group started, Greenleaf is having a special event on February 24th called "What the Heck is Greenleaf?" The event will be something akin to a newcomer's orientation, in which people can get the background of not only Greenleaf, but of the entire Vineyard movement. We are all busily planning and preparing for the event. I am in charge of flyers. So myself and others who volunteered to help me out have been roaming the streets of Durham, Carrboro, and Chapel Hill posting flyers around town.

I am slowly forming some friendships with people here. I went with one person from our church to see a local band on Monday night. The band was good. The company and conversation was good too. Last night I went with another person from our church to watch the Carolina/Duke basketball game at a bar on Franklin Street in downtown Chapel Hill. It was a fun experience, as the University of NC and Duke are huge rivals and the crowds watching the game (even at the bars) get pretty intense about it all. Angela and Rodger and a couple others met up with us to watch the game also. A good time was had by all (except for the people who were really and truly bummed about Carolina's loss). So here's to making friends and getting a life!

1 comment:

My name is Dianna said...

Yay, she lives!!! I miss you! Hope to see you soon! I will try hard to call you this weekend, it will be hairy though. I think about you alot, it's just while you are working or at 3 AM when I am tossing b/c the baby is playing the drums on my bladder....talk to ya soon!