Friday, April 28, 2006

A little more of the story

Well, my trip to Dahab would have been plenty eventful even without the bombings. So I may be feeding you stories from this trip (and pictures hopefully) for the next week.
One of the best stories is the story of this couple whose wedding I attended http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060425/od_afp/egyptattacksweddingoffbeat_060425155544. As it turns out they had only met three weeks earlier at a tantric sex conference in Sweden!!! Unbelievable! Who knew they even had conferences for that?
Another good story is me and Dorothee and our internet cafe outing gone bad. We went to an internet cafe on Monday morning for our daily email/news read. We didn't ask the price before we sat down, which was stupid on our part. But every place we had been in was charging between 3 and 5 pounds/hour. So after 45 minutes we got up and asked the man how much we owed. He said we needed to pay ten pounds each. We asked him if he was joking, this was a rediculous price! He got very rude and said something to the tune of "You don't come in my shop and tell me how much you will pay! I tell you what you pay!" Well, we let him know we were not happy and we would tell all of our friends to not come here because he overcharges, then we paid our money and left. We stewed about this interaction all morning. After lunch we walked by his shop and decided to see if anyone was in there and we would warn them that he overcharges. He had no customers. So we told him it was not a wonder he had no customers since he charged such rediculous prices. We told him we might stop by later to warn others of his way of dealing with people. Then he threatened to find our email accounts and erase all our emails! Stupid, stupid man. This was the exact wrong thing to say to Dorothee. We went straight to the police and she told them about the whole incident and his threat. And I was thoroughly impressed because she did all of this in Arabic. She is incredible. The Egyptian police crack me up. They all just sat there and at the end of Dorothee's story the guy in charge asks how long she has lived in Egypt.
"5 years", she said.
"Well," he responded," let me teach you a little bit about Egyptian culture. Today is shamen el seen (an Egyptian holiday officially marking the end of winter). Today all Egyptians, both Copts and Muslims, fast. We eat only fish and eggs all day. This man is probably cranky because all he has eaten to day is fish and eggs."
As if this somehow explains the fact that he is not just cranky, but a complete jerk. And I felt like adding that I am a vegetarian, and even though I never have meat I somehow manage to treat people in a pleasant way.
Anyhow, the officer agreed that the man was very wrong to threaten us. One of the police went to his shop and they had a "discussion" and we got back 5 pounds each. We were very proud that we stood up for ourselves. Especially Dorothee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH! 10 pounds for 45 minutes Wow it's too expensive BUT let me say you are genius and you deserve to be proud because you made him give you back 5 pounds its amazing circumstance. Now I think you should know my value because I give you 4 hours and 5 minutes for 10 pounds. hehe

Anonymous said...

dottie-
you know that you are one of the organizers of that conference...dont even try to pretend ignorance!
miss ya! and dorothea is my hero!
love
sara

Dottie said...

Yes thank you very much for your wonderful internet rates!! Your shop is a wonderful place for me!

Sara, we already discussed that you should not be revealing my secrets on the internet! Now what will the parents at school say !!

Dottie said...

Truth be told. They were so inspired by my theories on Tantra that they insisted I be there at the wedding to bless their marriage.