Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Veiled Women

As one would imagine, most women in Cairo are muslims and wear the veil. A good many of them just use it for covering their hair and neck, with their pretty little faces shining through a hole in the material. However, some take modesty to a different level and wear a veil covering the entire face, with only two slits in their mask for eyeholes. As if that were not enough, some of these women don an extra piece of see through material to cover even their eyes. These women are generally head to toe in black, loose black dresses that are long-sleeved and floor length, black gloves, black shoes, and even thick black tights so that not even the least little bit of ankle is shown. They look a bit like shorter, plumper versions of the Ghost of Christmas Future.
This morning on my way to school I saw a car driving towards me. The car slowed down and parked before it passed me. I wasn't paying too much attention to it until I got closer and no one appeared to be in it. I could have sworn that I had just seen that car in motion, but no one was in it and no one had come out of it. I kept walking closer, staring curiously at the car. Then I saw that the "seat" on the drivers side was wearing glasses. The driver was a veiled woman who blended in with the other black seats in her car. Incredible. This leads me to ask. . . should these women really be driving? Surley these veils obstruct their vision and behind the wheel on the roads and highways in Cairo is not the place for people who have no peripheral vision!!!!!

4 comments:

Dottie said...

Amen. It's like they walk around in a portable prison. I don't think I will ever understand alot of this culture and this religion.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Someone told me a while ago that in the more developed arab countries the women are not allowed to wear their veil while driving b/c it is an obstruction their vision!!!

Dottie said...

It only makes sense. It's good to hear that some of the arab countries have some common sense about the whole thing!