Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Nutshell (Part II)

Yesterday in a nutshell. . .
I spent most of the day going through our storage unit and dragging out all my shiznit. When I was in college I shared an entire house with one other girl and later moved into a good sized apartment with the same girl and two others. When I moved home after college I had lots of stuff. Stuff that I had no place to put in my old room at my parent's house. So we got a storage unit and all my stuff and all my parent's Christmas stuff went in there. Then I moved in with my sis. Then I moved in with Will and Sarah. And in all of these places I basically just rented a room. So my stuff stayed in storage. Then I made an unexpected move to Egypt when I got a job there while on vacation. So my family and Will and Sarah graciously packed up all my stuff and put it into storage. A year and a half comes and goes and I can't remember what I used to have and don't have now (except my cds). But I do know one thing. . . the time has come for me to go through all that stuff in storage and see what is trash, what is yardsale/goodwill worthy and what I can reclaim for myself. But I made a vow that none of it is to go back into storage.
So yesterday I got this unbelievable load(s) of stuff and drug it all into my parent's living room. It took me, my dad and Julie two trips with my dad's Saturn and my mom's Matrix to get it all. I could not believe the amount of stuff I had. Unbelievable. So I sorted out a lot of trash and a lot of yardsale stuff. The rest I hauled up to my room. This is all stuff that I would ideally like to keep. But it is still going to be way to much stuff. I know that on a closer look more of it will go in the trash or to goodwill. All I know is I have a lot of sorting through and sifting out ahead of me. However, I must say that opening these boxes is a little bit like seeing old friends again (especially my cds, books and coffee mugs). It's kind of fun rediscovering my old belongings. It just sucks that I can't keep it all.
Last night I went to a show at the Blue Horse Music Hall. It was like so freakin' good. I wish I had a financial income because I wanted to seriously buy some cds. It was Meagan Coffee (from Atlanta) and Jay Clifford (from Charleston). I had never heard either of them before. . . well not that I distinctly remembered anyhow. It turns out that Meagan is a part of one of the Atlanta Vineyards and I actually had heard her on their worship team. And what's more is that she and I used to go on youth retreats together. It is such a small world. Then it gets even better. She does this one impromptu song in her set. The lyrics were all about Augusta, GA. They went something like this:
Augusta, Georgia
I've only been here three times before
Augusta, Georgia
I confess I got lost on the way here
blah, blah, blah
irrelevant lyrics that I don't really remember very well. . .
I had my heart broken here once
(spoken) Shawn Meece
blah, blah, blah
more lyrics I don't remember

All this to say that I know Shawn Meece. He used to date one of my best friends in high school and I thought he was such a player. And of course I was right. So anyways I had a good time talking with Meagan after the show and reminiscing over the old days of Shawn Meece and youth retreats. Good stuff.

No comments: