Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The New Year Post

Happy New Year everyone! I hope yours was as wonderfully relaxing as mine.
I am back in North Carolina now. I came back on Sunday, as we had church on Sunday evening here. I went to a New Year's party last night. It was nice, but different since (outside of Rodger and Angela) I only was acquainted with about four of the people there and the rest were total strangers to me. Still it was a nice party and a happy way to bring in the New Year.
I lazed around this morning and took my time getting out of bed and getting ready. Then I went and spent some of the gift cards I got for Christmas. After that, I went to Starbucks (I got two gift cards for Starbucks). I enjoyed a cinnamon chip scone and a triple grande latte while I contemplated decorating ideas/themes for the rooms in my potential apartment. Speaking of the apartment, I still don't know whether I am in or not. I am hoping to know by the end of this week, but I was also hoping to know by the end of last week. We shall see.
After daydreaming about my potential apartment for at least a solid hour and a half, I came home and did some reading. Then I forced myself to go jogging. I didn't go running at all when I was in Augusta. I figured I would be too busy visiting with friends and family to really make it a priority, and I was right. So yesterday I eased myself back into gear with a jog/walk for only about 1.5-2 miles. Today I upped it to approximately 4 miles and jogged the whole time. My feet felt like bricks on the ends of my lead-filled legs. Of course on one of my days of getting back into the groove of running again I would cross paths with a man whose legs seemed to be a bout ten feet long and who ran with the grace and speed of a freaking dear. Not only did we cross paths once, as if that weren't enough to make me feel completely inadequate as a runner, no we crossed paths twice. I just have to accept the fact that I will never be one of those really graceful, gorgeous runners. I will always be short. I will always run out of breath just a little more easily than most runners (I have chronic asthma). I will always turn beat red every time my heart rate is raised even a little. Okay, I am going on a complete bunny trail here. The point of this paragraph is supposed to be that I made myself get back into gear right away for three reasons: (1) the longer I wait to get back into it, the harder it will be; (2) I really do love running, even though the first couple of days back are a kick in the pants; and (3) my New Year resolution is to run a marathon this year. I haven't picked which marathon or where or when, but I will make a decision after I have done a little more research as to what my options are and what is realistic.

No comments: