Monday, January 21, 2008

Moving In

Saturday at about 10:30 am Rodger, Angela, Esther, and I showed up at my new place with two carloads of my stuff and one carload of cleaning supplies (I am taking over the lease for two college guys and intense cleaning was definitely called for). The former tenants not only didn't clean, but also left a bunch of stuff in the apartment. Some of it was just plain trash (i.e. moldy hotdog buns), but some of it was perfectly good stuff that they just left for no apparent reason (i.e. a $60 clipper/trimmer set that looked brand spankin' new with price tags still on it and all). So we weeded out the trash, the recyclables, the goodwill items, and the stuff I was keeping for my self. Some of the items I am keeping are a sofa and two chairs, an air mattress, an inspirational poster of Steve Prefontaine, two suitcases, a coffee warmer, a husband pillow, and a few other odds and ends. Anyhow, we cleaned and cleaned and cleaned until it looked like an entirely different place than the one we walked into. We hung curtains, assembled a bookshelf and coffee table (housewarming presents from Esther), arranged furniture, hung pictures, and at the end of it all, it kind of resembled a home. Albeit a home that seriously needs more furniture and many other household items, but a home nonetheless.

I haven't spent the night over there yet because Esther is in town and I don't yet have decent sleeping arrangements for company, but tonight will be my first night in my new apartment. Yay!

2 comments:

My name is Dianna said...

Well, God supplied your living room stuff. I have lots of kitchen odds and ends that I would love to part with. Plates, bowls, old (but in good, incomplete shape) flatware, a strainer, and lots of odds and ends. What size sheets will you need? 'Cause we are going to be getting the girls different beds to make room for the baby. (they are feminine, but not preschool-ish, pottery barn clearance so good, comfy quality) We just won't need six sets of twin and two fulls.

Dottie said...

I can definitely use kitchen stuff. I have the essential appliances (fridge, stove/oven, toaster, microwave) except for a coffee maker. I have plenty of mugs and some silverware. I think I have cups somewhere in Augusta and maybe a few other odds and ends in the kitchen department.

As far as sheets, I could use a set or two of twin size sheets for the air mattress, but my bed is queen size. I can use pillow cases and blankets if you have extras of those.

My parent's may come up to visit me this weekend. So maybe I could get Mary to stop by your house this week to pick up whatever you are looking to get rid of. Call me on my cell later today. I have the whole day off.