Saturday, January 12, 2008

Investing is Important (Subtitle: What God is Teaching Me)

In my quiet times these days I have been thinking about the past, the present, and the future. I have been asking God questions like why Chapel Hill? What should I be doing while I'm here? School? Just building relationships? Focusing on church, church, church? What is the next step/what am I preparing for in the future? What have I learned about the past that can guide me in the present/future? Etc.

Do I have answers to all of these questions? Heck no.

Has God spoken to me at all relating to these question? I'd like to think so.

Here is what I have (forgive the stream of thought writing that might not make any sense to anyone but me): School is still burning in my heart. I want to go back. I want to do education. I'm really thinking ESL, but that is negotiable. Chapel Hill is a great area for schools. If I don't do it at this point in my life, will I ever? But also while I'm here, I want Chapel Hill to be like Cairo and Augusta were in some ways. Cairo and Augusta have felt like home. I have connections with the places themselves and with so many of the people there. I was invested while I was there and now I want to invest myself in the community here. Whatever that means, I don't know exactly, but I want it. In college at LaGrange, I was not invested. My heart was still in Augusta. Sure I made a few friends and generally enjoyed my time there, but I was always looking to go back to Augusta and to seeing my friends there. I don't want to miss out on Chapel Hill the way I missed out on LaGrange. I want my heart (or at least a third of it) to be here in Chapel Hill. So that's all I've got. It's not really a plan of action at this point, but maybe it is the beginnings of such a plan.
___________________________________
Other Updates:
I still am up in the air with the apartment and I don't feel like even talking about it right now.

I am excited about going to visit the botanical gardens here in Chapel Hill today with 2 (maybe 3) friends.

I am excited about seeing Esther over MLK weekend. Either she will visit me or I will visit her. We haven't decided all the details yet.

I am brainstorming with Sara about doing a half-marathon in the spring with her and then doing a full marathon in the fall with her.

1 comment:

My name is Dianna said...

Wow! I vote for school! I think that it could be a great avenue God might use to make CH,NC more homey, give you deeper purpose and plus you will be working closely with a group of people somewhere close to your age range and it would open doors to great, deep friendships....leading them to church:)...that is just the opinion of a very pregnant woman who is currently eating lime popsicles and lots of salsa with rice, not together, but tandem....do you spell tandem, t-a-n-d-E-m or t-a-n-d-U-m???
miss you and love you!