Sunday, May 28, 2006

Barnaby Bear Goes to Anafora

I teach a KG/Grade 1 Social Studies class. Last week we began a unit focusing on geography and traveling. The unit features a bear named Barnaby who travels all over the world. As part of the unit each child gets a turn to take Barnaby home with them so that he can see their home and perhaps take trips with them to different places. Barnaby even has his own camera so that the children can take up to five pictures of Barnaby enjoying his time with them and different activities he participated in.
This past weekend Barnaby came with me to Anafora. Anafora is a very spiritual place. Barnaby and I spent lots of time in prayer and meditation. Some of my pictures include Barnaby reading the Bible and being baptized. I wish the pictures were on a digital camera so I could share them with you. Sigh. Three of my colleagues went on the retreat with me. Throughout the weekend we made up stories to go with the pictures (Barnaby accepts Jesus Christ as His Personal Lord and Savior, the Lord Speaks to Barnaby in Dreams and Visions, Barnaby Becomes a Coptic Monk, Barnaby is Called to the Mission Field, Barnaby Elopes, etc.). One of my fellow teachers brought in to school a mini-Bible for Barnaby. It is now sitting on Barnaby's table in his little house we have in the classroom, waiting for Barnaby to share the Word of God with all his friends (the puppets from the KG classroom).
The kids are really enjoying this unit and their new friend. I was suprised at how into to it they are. But I must say that I am even more suprised at how much I am enjoying it. I feel that I am reverting to childhood (and bringing my colleagues down with me).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dottie,
Anafora is an amazing place. AS I sit in California, I remember the chapel and the huge "eye" of God. For me, it's a part of Egypt that reminds me that I am part of a world wide family.
Hey Dottie, come to Monterey. There's a church plant here that has the values of MCC.
Rosemary

Dottie said...

Rosemary,
I was looking online for any excuse to do a fun trip before I got settled back in Augusta. I found that there is a Vineyard worship/worship leaders conference in Monterey in the begining of August. It's really not on the way home at all, but we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Hey I read they look for talent at that conference. Like you!

Anonymous said...

I've heard about Anafora and I would like to go there for a retreat in december. I tried to contact them but the e-mail adresses I have seem to be bad(anaphora@gega.net and anafora_retreatfarm@yahoo.com). Do you have another one ? Did you contact them before going there to book ? Thank you for your answer
Lucie, France

Anonymous said...

I visited Anafora in 2005, and I e-mailed them by using this adress: anafora@tedata.net.eg
Their postadress is "ANAFORA RETREATFARM, P.O.Box 443, Zamalek 11568, Cairo, Egypt."
If you want to call them by phone, you can try these numbers:
+20 (0)10 - 1141044 or
+20 (0)12 - 3812604 or
+20 (0)12 - 2303829.
Orjan, Norway.