Tuesday, May 02, 2006

It Was Bound To Happen

I knew that sooner or later it was bound to happen. Last night on the creep bridge near my flat, I got grabbed. I was on my way home from the gym and in a perfectly wonderful mood (endorphins high from my workout) despite my less than wonderful day at work (kids were absolutely driving me insane). This Egyptian guy was walking the opposite direction as me, but after he passed me he turned around and started following me. I turned around and told him forcefully to quit following me. He tried talking to me "Oh but I just wanted to say hello." I told him I certainly did not want to talk to him and he had better turn around and walk the other way. "Oh, you want me to go," he said.
"Yes!" I said emphatically.
"Ok," he replied. Then he grabbed my left boob and ran away. I did what came natural. I ran after him yelling profanities and daring him to come back because I would kick his sorry @$$.

I suppose this reaction was slightly more fruitful and satisfying than when I first arrived in Egypt and had a similar occurance. At that time I was so shocked that I froze on the spot and did absolutley nothing at all. Sara had to chase the guy on my behalf. But still, this reaction was not enough. On looking back, I should have chased him all the way down the bridge and made a huge scene at the bottom where there were lots of other people. Now I am really pondering a weapon of some sort to carry with me at all times. When you think that your only defence is yelling at someone. . . it somehow just does not seem to be enough. Rocks, a knife, a can of soup, something. It would be really good if I could start carrying around a horse whip. If people just look at you and think "That is one crazy b#*@%&," then I really think that they won't even want to mess with you. They will want to run away.

No comments: