Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Building a Church Resume

Our church planting team has started to meet weekly. Each week we pray, we throw out ideas and visions we have for what our church in Chapel Hill might look like, and we eat brownies (mmmmm). This week we had a homework assignment. We were given a little questionaire to fill out.
My spiritual gifts are:
My talents, skills, and abilities are:
I have experience in:
My favorite way to serve others is:
. . . and so on and so forth.

I glanced over it and immediately went into resume mode (or CV mode if you prefer). I grant you that filling in this little worksheet is more fun than creating a resume (mostly because I know Rodger and Angella aren't going to fire me from the church plant even if my "resume" isn't what they hoped it would be (not that I feel like they would put those kind of expectations on me in the first place)). It is fun to kind of take a walk down memory lane and think about where I have been in relation to the church, the roles I have played, the experiences I have had, what I was good at, what I was not so good at, where I thrived and where I struggled to just meet the status quo.

I also added one more thing to the questionaire. . .
You should never, ever put me in charge of:

With how God works sometimes, that might just be the very thing I end up being in charge of. But anyhow, I just thought Rodger and Angela should know the areas that I feel particularly ungifted or unskilled in too.

No comments: