Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Cat is a Funny Thing

Since the exodus from our house in the ghetto, my little sis has been spending the night here, there and everywhere. She lost her job the day before the break in at our house and, since she has no income currently, she has been unable to find a place of her own. So she hops from one friend's sofa to the next. All this to say, she has no real home for her cats right now. My mom volunteered to temporarily take in one of her cats (she wouldn't take the other one because he hasn't been fixed yet). So Romeo moved in with us last week. The only problem is that my mom has two cats of her own and one of those cats hates Romeo with a burning passion. In order to prevent fights, the cats have to be separated at all times. This ends up meaning that Romeo is treated like the redheaded step child who gets locked up in his room all day long with only the bare necessities of life (food, water and litterpan). My heart went out to Romeo two nights ago and I brought him in my room to spend the night so he would at least have some company. This was a bad idea. I got very little sleep. It didn't even have anything to do with my allergies. Remember how I said that one of my mom's cats hates Romeo with a burning passion. I was not exaggerating. Midway through the night, Callie (the vengeful kitty) somehow figured out that Romeo was in my room. She then proceded to claw at my door for a solid hour before she actually managed to open the door and attack Romeo. At which point I am forced to fly out of my bed, break up the cat fight, get Callie out of my room, and baracade my door with a box full of my cds and dvds (I'm not done unpacking yet). So then I sink back into my bed irritated, but too tired to really worry about irritation. In about 30 seconds I was out cold. Then at three am I was awakened by the sounds of Romeo puking up hairballs on my floor. That was the end of my compassion for cats. Romeo was promptly put back into his solitary confinement. I cleaned up the mess and went back to bed. Grrrrrrrr. Darn cats ruining my one night the entire week when I really had the possibility for getting a good solid, uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry dottie...i didn't mean to ruin your other chance for a good nights sleep...give me a call when you have a second
love sara :)

Dottie said...

Hey there Sara! Nevermind about the interrupted sleep. . . you are worth it. I called you at my lunch break. Call me back when you have a chance.

patrick | steed said...

maybe you should put them outside.

just a thought.

Dottie said...

Not my cats, not my call.