Thursday, May 12, 2005

Mid-Year Resolution

A few weeks ago, my co-workers, their spouses, and I met up for a relaxed evening. We ate dinner and hung out and had a good time. I like my coworkers. I work in a small school and there are only 6 full-time teachers in the primary department. So we are all getting to know each other pretty well. So anyways, back to dinner and hanging out. So we meet up. Three of the six are married and three of us are single. Of the singles, I am the youngest. There is one who is about ten years older than me and one who is about twenty years older than me. I was struck that evening that my life is headed on a similar path as these women. I'm becoming a teacher like them and there is a good chance I might be either permenantly single or even just single for a good while longer. I'm fairly comfortable with this. Sure I have my uneasy moments where I'm not sure I can do this all alone for the rest of my life, but then I look at people who have miserable marriages and I am quickly reminded that I'd rather be single. Anyhow, I'm looking at these women and I almost freeze in terror. What if I do become just like them? What if I become one of those women who replace their family relationships with cats and dogs?!? What if I start talking about my pets as if they are my children? What if I start carrying around pictures of them in my wallet? NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
I won't do it. This is my mid-year resolution.

p.s. If you are someone who adores your animals so much that they feel like children to you, please don't take offense to my stupid blog. It's just me rambling and being goofy.

No comments: