Sunday, May 15, 2005

More Resolutions

I don't know what the sudden intrest in setting goals for myself is, but when you feel motivated to do something... go with it. Maybe others aren't quite so lazy as myself and set goals on a more regular basis. I, however, can often be quite content to sit around, play my guitar, sing, and daydream the day away. However, every so often I get this manic need to do things. It might be cleaning the house from top to bottom. It might be a strange urge to do lots of research on something that has always intrigued me, but I've never really bothered to look into before. It might be a new hobby. It might be an old hobby. It could be any number of things.
Recently, I find myself slipping into this manic mode again. I don't have a direct focus for it yet, but it could take a limitless possibility of directions. For example, my friend/roommate Esther recently showed me this little book she has been writing. It's kind of a journal of sorts where she is just writing down a huge list of things that make her happy. And I'm thinking what a great idea. If I started this and wrote down a few things that make me happy each day, chances are that by the next time I was feeling blue I could pull out this notebook and find something that would make me feel better. But then again, as long as there is chocolate around you don't have to think very hard about what might make you feel better. So this is one goal that I can reasonably keep.
Other, less reasonable, goals include things like traveling to Europe this summer, being an extra in a bollywood film, taking ballroom dance lessons, and setting up a budget for myself. Well really more than a budget. More like a financial plan for the next year or so of my life. Somehow, I'm thinking that the dance lessons and the trip to Europe would be in direct conflict with my financial plan, but one can dream. Hey, you never know, maybe I'll make loads of extra money for my role in the Bollywood film and affording the other two would be no problem.
Anyhow, on a totally unrelated note, my sister emailed me to say the she found out that she's having a boy. So by Thanksgiving I'll have both a nephew and a neice (my brother's wife is having a girl). So it'll be Emma Grace Lee and James Thomas Armstrong. I'm just thankful that it's my sister who is having the boy and not my brother. Tommy told me that if he had a boy he was going to name him Zerubabel... and he wasn't joking. Oh some things never change, and my brother is one of them. He will always be that go against the flow kind of guy who gets in trouble at school for wearing what they called a skirt but what he called a kilt. He will always be that crazy person who wears a piece of duct tape around his ankle for seven years. He'll always be the guy who isn't afraid to take risks in life, like jumping off the roof with an umbrella to see if he really could float safely to the ground. I miss my brother. I know that deep down he never will change, and that's as it should be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i miss the real tommy too....but hes having a girl so no zarubable=)