Tuesday, July 12, 2005

6 month Time Warp

I've been away from home for 6 months. During that time I kept in touch with family and a few friends through emails and blogs. So I had a vague idea of how everybody was doing and all the exciting things that were going on in good old Augusta. But for some reason in my mind, over the last six months I had changed drastically and they all stayed the same. So even though I knew certain people had gotten married, some had bought new houses, others were pregnant, there were a few new babies, a few growing babies, new occupations, etc., it felt as if I was thrown into a time warp. It is really weird and a bit uncomfortable for me. I can't really explain it.

I met up with one of my best friends last night for a drink at this place called Room 9. That made me feel like I was at home again. We sat and talked and caught up on all the happenings and mishappenings of our lives over the last little while. I had never been to Room 9 before and I must say that it is quite a unique little place. You walk in the door and you feel like you are living something like Alice and Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. There is a long red hallway and you can scarcely see the end of it. The hall is decorated sparsely with just the odd bit of furniture (a chair, a lamp, etc.). You can't see speakers and the Alfred Hitchcock music seems to be coming from nowhere. So you get to the end of the hallway and you find a nice little place with drinks that are deeeeeelicious. I had something called the Seven Year Itch and Angella got one called the Swedish Massage. They were so good that when round two came I got her drink and she got mine. Anyway, for all you Augustans, I reccommend this place. Now I will warn you that it might not be a guy's idea of a good place to go and chill out. Their prices are probably not the cheapest in town and there are no TVs with sporting events showing. But go check it out sometime.

In other news, I am cheating on my cell group while I'm in the states. I am having a summer fling with a home group here. I hope my cell group understands, but I have needs damn it!!

6 comments:

patrick | steed said...

hahaha! we stole you from your cell group. now you will never go back!

Anonymous said...

duh dottie...you are going to a KINSHIP group in the states and a CELL group in cairo..they are clearly different so it doesnt count as cheating...its more of an "expanding spiritaul horizons as it relates to small groups of people meeting together" situation
love and miss ya
sara
ps-what are some changes that you have noticed? do americans all seem very clean and organized? are you still coming back? did you get a job at the store? besides me, do you miss anything about cairo?

Dottie said...

Dear cell group leader,
I'm so glad that you understand. So this means you'll take me back?
By the way, it is apparently now offensive to call a small group at VCC a "kinship" group. So don't make that blunder. They are now called home groups.
America/Americans all seem to be very clean and very sane. It's nice to be somewhere where everything seems to make some sense, where there is a clear rhyme and reason to things. But on the other hand, it can get so boring that way.
I have yet to see Dan, so no word on the job.
I miss you and Esther. I miss fresh juices. I miss my cell group. I miss inexpensive lattes. I want to go diving again and that isn't gonna happen here.
And of course I am coming back. I cant even imagine a situation that would make me not want to come back.

Anonymous said...

Your 'cell group' misses you! it look like adam is going to atlanta...i am so jealous you and him and justin are going to take a road trip to savannah! we met last night and christine was supposed to do worship and she CHICKEND out completly with a lame excuse....she had to get her hair done because she was meeting Mrs. Mubarak..lame :)...anyway i think she felt bad becuase she brought ice cream cake...so we worhsipped through eating the 'guilt' cake...i hope to go diving as soon as this class is over... i love diving in the summer when you dont have a thousand wet suits on..katie got to see a shark in thailand! but it wasnt scary supposedly it didnt even have teeth..i had a crazy dream about a certain someone...and now i am COMPLETLY over them...seriosly i dreamt that i was married to him and it was horrible! i am taking esther to ein sukhna for two days for her bday...nothing but sandy beaches and italians...its a rough life...katie is going to come as well and we are trying to get others but then there is the driving consideration...no news on the apartment...my cat has reached new levels of spazzeddum...i think having your rational Lee present in the house may have calmed her down..and now that she is surrounded by kauffmans she cant cope...seriosly dottie...she runs into rooms jumps on the top of coaches for a second jumps off and then runs to the next room and jumps on another coach...its kinda fun trying to have a normal converstation with this crazy cat running around...ok i just realized that i provided a narrative instead of a comment.."discuss amongst yourselves"...and i should probally cut copy spell check and then send it as an email but i am too lazy...
instead off to class i go!
sara
ps- the cake was actually for esthers bday and supposedly not guilt cake but i usually have dark ulterior motives so i decided christne must as well

WoundedHealer said...

Hey Dottie Wottie!! Can't wait to see you. Jen and I have missed you alot!! Hopefully this weekend. Yeah.

Dottie said...

Sara,
Wow. That was alot to take in. I'm sending you an email.

Pete,
I'll see you soon!