Thursday, July 14, 2005

Overwhelmed and Procrastinating

I'm doing some spring cleaning at my parents' house. I'm the only one working on it, so it is completely overwhelming. Taking things of shelves, dusting, rearranging, throwing things out, organizing, scrubbing, sweeping, de-cat-hairing EVERYTHING, and the list goes on. The worst is the rearranging. I love rearranging, but what I want to do is move these extraordinairly large cabinets and an entertainment center. I can't do it on my own. Simple solution: get my brother-in-law or my little sister's boyfriend to come and help (my dad has knee problems and I don't want him to get hurt). I have trouble asking people to help me though. I don't know why. Maybe I'm afraid of inconveniencing others or maybe I don't like to admit that sometimes I can't do everything on my own. At anyrate, I mention my rearranging plans to my sister Julie. And hook-line-and-sinker she voluteers Jim to help. Then she says something that she should have known better than to say. She says "But we'll have to do it when Dad is home to help Jim, because that cabinet is too big for Jim to move on his own." I told her I intended on helping Jim, and that Dad didn't need to put that strain on his knees. She looks at me like I'm crazy and then remembers who she is talking to and that yes I am crazy, but I am also fully capable of helping move cabinets. So my pride is a bit hurt, but I get over it. Then Jim comes to my house for lunch and Julie mentions it to him. His response "I can't move that by myself. Who is gonna help me?" My pride can't take it any more. I tell him to forget about it and that I was gonna get Brian to help me so he didn't have to worry about it. So then I decide I will prove to myself and the world that I am not a wilting flower and I can move it all myself, all by myself. The results: Cabinet not moved a single solitary centimeter, entertainment center moved 6 inches in the wrong direction. Fabulous.
So now I am procrastinating on all the moving, cleaning, organizing, and everything because I am too discouraged to currently go on. Sigh.

2 comments:

WoundedHealer said...

Dottie, you are so funny.

Dottie said...

Oh Pete, funny just doesn't cover it. Stubborn and stupid might be a better fit. But I just can't stop myself.