Sunday, July 31, 2005

Last night I went to a birthday party for my friend Edgar. Edgar is one of those amazing people that everyone loves. Spend five minutes with him and you know what I mean. He is so good-natured. He accepts everyone for who they are, where they are. So of course his birthday celebration brought together a good size group. A group of people who were all very happy to celebrate the birth of someone so wonderful. I think Edgar enjoyed himself and his friends very much. I was happy to see so many happy people. It's nights like last night that make you remember why you love being alive and what a weird and wonderful thing it can be to be a part of the human race. It is truly beautiful to watch the ways we express love, joy, appreciation, admiration, and gratitude.

My friend Esther has a journal entirely devoted to writing down all the things that make her smile. I thought it was a great idea, so I started one too. Here are some of my favorites I have written down (in no particular order).

1. the smell of cookies baking
2. fresh mango juice
3. watching people dance
4. big smiles
5. a clear, starry night
6. watching exotic fish
7. corny jokes
8. people laughing
9. chocolate
10. solving puzzles
11. day dreaming
12. my family
13. meeting new people
14. the way the sun feels on my hair
15. a glass of wine while listening to Over the Rhine

What makes you smile?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog!!!! :)

HotMama said...

Happy Birthday Edgar!

Hi Dottie I love stuff like this it is so much fun.

I had a huge smile yesrteday as I watched someones elses kid (he was about 3) be a complete goofball while his mother could not see him in church. It was too funny! The more I watched and giggle the sillier he got. And mom was none the wiser. He had every one on that side of the room in stitches.