Monday, November 06, 2006

Friends

My pastor did a sermon at church on friendships/community. It made me think and question and that is a good thing.
Do I open up with my friends? Do I hold them at arms length? Do I write people off if they don't perform to my standards? Am I trying to do a performance for my friends? Good questions to ask. Bad that I don't think I am getting all the correct answers to those questions all the time. Bad that I honestly don't think I will change much. It all seems too far rooted in me. I put up walls to protect myself from I'm not quite sure what. I constantly feel the need to be seen as strong and independent. I struggle to admit my weaknesses and failures with even my closest friends. I am generally not transparent with my friends. Not a good sign.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i disagree with your assessment ya dottie....i definitely think that you are willing to share your vulnerabilities ..unless you have been holding back on me...in which case i am going to have to go to Georgia and beat you!
~sara

Dottie said...

Sara you are one of the few friends that I can honestly say I share my weaknesses with. You are an amazing friend that I trust so much that I know that I know that I know that you would never judge me or think I'm just stupid. Congrats you were like one of maybe four I could think of.

Anonymous said...

Friends, huh - who needs em anyway!

:-)

Anonymous said...

It is NOT 2:24 am