Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Egyptian Crazy

I was just thinking that I haven't given you guys any glimpses into Egyptian life lately. So here are a few of the typical Egyptian scenarios.

Earlier this week, I was on my way to work when a taxi spotted me and started yelling to get my attention. I wanted a lift so I went over to him. This is our conversation.
Cab Driver: Izayik, ya Sara?!!" (that's arabic for how are you Sara).
Me: I'm fine (I'm kind of used to people thinking that I'm Sara and I didn't feel like arguing so I just got in the cab)
Cab Driver: You are not Sara, you are Sara's friend.
Me: You're right
Cab Driver: What is your name?
Me: Dottie (I do actually recognize this guy and remember that he has given me a ride at least once, maybe twice before, but it has been about three months since)
Cab Driver: You want to go to the school?
Me: That's right. Road 11 and Damascus Road.
(He starts driving)
Cab Driver: You married?
Me: No.
Cab Driver: You live with mother and father?
Me: No.
Cab Driver: You should marry an Egyptian, but only a Christian one. I'm a Chiristian!
Me: no comment
silence for a minute or two
Me: How is your family?
Cab Driver: Very good. I have one son.
Me: (smile) That's nice.
Cab driver: Dottie, I love you. You are very, very good. Sara is very beautiful, very, very pretty. I see her walking down the street.
Dottie: yes, she is very pretty.
Cab Driver: Call me if you ever need a driver to go to Alexadria or anywhere else on holiday.
Dottie: Ok, thanks. Bye.

_________________________________
This is a funny quote from a Brazilian friend living here
"Esther, there are many kinds of crazy. Egyptian crazy is waking up early and yelling in loud things (meaning loud speakers, and refering to the islamic prayers that are boomed throughout the city about five times a day)."
_______________________________________

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dottie-
You should tell the people back home about the 'walk-by' pick up lines :)
~the 'gamela' sara
ps- its no great compliment to be called beautiful over here...its so common its practically expected :)

Dottie said...

Yes, it's true. For all those not living in Egypt and reading my blog, you should know that I can walk out of my house at 7:15 am with no make up, looking like crap and still get guys on the street asking me to marry them. I walk home in the afternoon, tired, and worn out from the kids all day. Even then there are men walking by saying "very, very beautiful."
When I come home, I'll be so used to this that I might even find it insulting that men aren't whistling and proposing when I walk down the street :)
Just kidding. It will be nice to feel like a normal person again. Ah to walk around unnoticed.