Friday, June 24, 2005

Summer Reading

This summer will be a summer of lots and lots of reading. I haven't had time to pick up a book since Christmas and my brain is starving for it. Any reccomendations on some good books? Fiction, non-fiction, serious, goofy, historical, biographical, whatever. But I'm not really into legal books, like John Grisham stuff, and ABSOLUTELY NO SCARY BOOKS, particularly anything that has to do with psychotic people and serial killers. I don't know why I can't handle this stuff, but I can't. I can do war books that describe death, I can do books that recount deaths from horrible accidents and medical conditions. But when it comes to people who kill other people for no apparent reason or for no understandable reason, I just freak out. I can't take it. Well, all that to ask you for good book reccomendations.

Right now I am reading a book called My Forbidden Face. It is about a Afgani girl of about 16 who lives through all the wars and political changes in her country. The book particularly talks about the Taliban take over. It is a true story. It is a good book. It is eye opening. It is depressing. There is one quote from it I particularly liked.
Joy and sorrow are sisters.

6 comments:

RedPita said...

Dottie,

I have just started (again) reading "The Poisonwood Bible".. I am just a few pages into it and i looooove it.

anything margret atwood. try 'the blind assasin' for a good summer read.

'i know this much is true' by wally lamb.

a must: barbara hodgensons 'the senualist" in hardback if you can.... read it and try to not be all dreamy and thinking for days.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dots...I'm also on the hunt for a good book. One that I read a while ago is White Oleander...I think you'll like that one. I heard the Da Vinci Code is good so I might try it. Tell the girls hello! Miss you all.

RedPita said...

white oleander was very good.

Dottie said...

Thanks for the recomendations girls. Does another Harry Potter book come out this summer?

Jen! said...

Hi Dottie!

I just read The Secret Life of Bees and loved it - written by a South Carolina woman about the life a girl living in the south in the 60s. Great non fiction: Searching for God Knows What by Don Miller who also wrote Blie Like Jazz (which if you haven't read that, is awesome) Glad you're enjoying life in Egypt! You deserve it. :)

Anonymous said...

Harry Potter, July 16th baby!!!
Woooo!!!!!!