Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sometimes I Am Ready To Go Home

Today I am doing something that is dreaded by all foriegners staying in Cairo. . . going to the Mogamma. I have to get my visa renewed and it is always a pain in the ass in many ways. For starters it means leaving Maadi. The distance isn't too big of a deal, it's more the atmosphere change. Maadi is like this little foriegn bubble. The Egyptians here are used to foriegners, so you don't get hassled as much. You don't get as many eyes staring at you, watching your every move. So with this in mind, this morning I spent the last 50 MINUTES trying to find an outfit that fit the following criteria:
A. Clean.
B. Matching.
C. Cool enough for the Cairo heat.
D. Modest enough that I don't draw anymore attention to myself than is absolutely unavoidable.

The final results of this search are jeans and an old college t-shirt. I admit that jeans aren't exactly cool, breathing clothing, but it was the best I could do.
The next reason it is a pain is my own fault. I am late getting it done, so it is going to cost a rediculous sum of money.
The third reason it is a pain is that the process takes all freakin' day. You give it them in the morning and then the earliest I've been able to get it back was 2 in the afternoon. Oh well, if I must, I must.

No comments: