Thursday, June 21, 2007

Travel Books

I go to Borders quite a bit these days. Sometimes I meet up with friends there. Sometimes I go for some semi-alone time and some people watching (and a little eavesdropping too). But typically, I sit in the cafe and read travel books. I read about places I only dream about going to (South Africa mostly). I read about places I am planning on going to (California!). I read about places I have already been to (Egypt and Ireland mostly). I read funny short travel stories. I found a little snip it that made me laugh because it was so true.
"It is important to understand that in the 3rd world most driving is done with the horn, or 'Egyptian brake pedal,' as it is known. There is a precise and complicated etiquette of horn use. Honk your horn only under the following circumstances:
1. When anything blocks the road.
2. When anything doesn't.
3. When anything might.
4. At red lights.
5. At green lights.
6. At all other times."
-P.J. O'Rourke, Holidays in Hell

2 comments:

Whit said...

OK, this bit about the "Egyptian brake pedal" is so accurate it made me laugh out loud! I could never have appreciated it had I not been there recently. Next time you are here, I will have to tell you my favorite story from our trip, which involves the Cairo traffic and a hair-raising ride to catch the train back to Alex!

Dottie said...

Can't wait to hear it!