Sunday, June 10, 2007

Trip to the ATL

The Awesomeness:
The very best part: seeing Esther.

The very second best part: the guy at IHOP wearing the shirt which read "I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll take a look."

The third best part: Esther being hit on by the Ethiopian gas station cashier.

The fourth best part: discussing with Esther who we would make wear the aforementioned t-shirt if we had the power. (It was hands down decided that Esther's brother Edward would be our top pick.)

The fifth best part: just being in the airport and getting some good people watching in.

The sixth best part: strawberry cheesecake icecream at Brewsters.

The seventh best part: my car didn't fall apart on me.

The Unawesomeness:
The first worst part: writing letters to friends in Cairo for Esther to pass along, then wishing that I was going to see them and not just writing them a letter. Then thinking about Egypt and my friends there so much that I felt as if I was leaving Cairo all over again. I felt my heart break like when I left Egypt, and I teared up in the airport Atlanta Bread Company.

The second worst part: saying bye to Esther (although this isn't too bad because she will be in D.C. come fall and I will be in Chapel Hill, so it will be like 4 or 5 hours between us. . . this is totally a travelable distance).

The third worst part: wanting with all my heart to jump on a plane and have an adventure in a new place, but instead I had to get in my car and drive back to Augusta.

5 comments:

My name is Dianna said...

shirt is hilarious!
i wonder if they rent pyramids for residential use in Chapel Hill?

Anonymous said...

Dottie,
Egypt (and all of us here) misses you too! Come back and rescue us from our misery!
Heather :)

Anonymous said...

i forgot all about passing along those letters. good think i read your blog :)
it was great to see you too!
love, esther

Anonymous said...

Ezaik Dottie? just writing to let you know I read your blog today. Say hi to Esther from me when you next E mail her, glad things are working out well for her. I enjoy reading your blogs, from time to time. Hope the move goes well.
I miss Egypt sometimes. Hope to visit sometime, not sure when yet! When I'm in London I sometimes visit the Arab district, to listen to people speaking Arabic, and buy a falafel sandwhich! I've got a place to study theology at a bible college fairly close to London starting in Sept. Take care Dottie,
Love Fiona x

Dottie said...

So good to hear from you Fiona! I too enjoy getting your update letters from time to time.

Sometimes, when I'm walking around town shopping or whatever, I'll happen upon arabic speakers. I must confess that I follow them around just to listen to them speak. I even still listen to the teach-yourself-arabic cd I bought just before I went to Egypt the first time. It's silly, but it makes me happy.