Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Back to Square One

I did not get hired on. He decided in favor of another girl he interviewed. She starts today. I was told yesterday at 4:50 pm that they didn't need me anymore. He tried to be nice about it and complemented this, that, and the other about my work. He said he would be happy to give me a reference if I needed it. But somehow all the compliments smell like manure, because HE DIDN'T WANT ME SO CLEARLY ALL MY GOOD TRAITS WEREN'T ENOUGH FOR HIM SO WHAT MAKES HIM THINK THEY'LL BE ENOUGH FOR ANYBODY ELSE.
The rejection from not getting a job after you temp there for two and a half weeks is slightly different than the rejection you feel when you don't get a job after interviewing. Not everyone interviews well, even people who are great at their job. And even people who normally interview well can have a bad one from time to time. So rejection after an interview can be justified by saying that "oh if he had only seen me in an actual work environment, then he would have hired me." But at this moment I can't even say that to make myself feel better.
Rejection after temping is more like the rejection after being dumped. Okay, I will give you that being dumped is decidedly worse. You all know that stinging feeling when your past significant other(s) sat you down and gave you the talk. The whole "you're so great, but. . . ", "you're one of the coolest, smartest, best-looking, best-kissing, kindest, most-loving, (insert superlative of choice here), but. . ." Sigh. Then I want to restate what I said earlier: HE DIDN'T WANT ME SO CLEARLY ALL MY GOOD TRAITS WEREN'T ENOUGH FOR HIM SO WHAT MAKES HIM THINK THEY'LL BE ENOUGH FOR ANYBODY ELSE.
So maybe I'm melodramatic. I don't care. I'm entitled to be melodramatic for at least one day after not getting this job.

2 comments:

Will said...

You can still brush this off because you were temping. To hire you, he'd probably have had to pay more--enough to keep you happy plus a percentage to the temp agency for a long period of time. At least, that's how I think it works...

I'm sorry you didn't get it, though, Dottie.

Anonymous said...

Dottie, your good traits are good enough for me! Praying that the RIGHT job will come through soon. Hang in there.
Love ya,
Heather :)