Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Bad Crazy vs. Good Crazy

Recent events in my life have brought me in contact with some crazy people. This is no big suprise. Anyone who has met my dad knows that something is just a little bit off upstairs, but in a weird and wonderful way. My dad is the good kind of crazy. So now I'm seeing some bad kind of crazy come in close contact with my family and it is freaking me out big time. I know running away from problems doesn't solve them, but I have never been so ready to leave anywhere in my entire life. I can't handle it. And the worst of it is that this crazy calls himself a Christian. I won't go into the details, but we all know the type. The ones who says you're not a Christian if you don't speak in tongues, exorcize demons, and hear God's audible voice every moment of every day.

As I Christian, I begin to feel embarassed to call myself one for fear that people will think I am like these people. I literally have to remind myself why I call myself a Christian. My being a Christian is not because I am out to win some holier-than-thou competition. I am not a Christian because I am afraid of hell and damnation. I do not call myself a follower of Christ because it's the cool thing to do or to please my parents. I am a Christian because I believe in the cause of Christ. I see how He lived a good, holy, just, righteous, and loving life. I want that. I see how He endured the worst of humanity, yet still wanted relationship with us. I want to try to understand that. I see how He took up the case of widows and orphans. He healed the sick, fed the hungry, befriended the rejects, and even raised the dead. He gave hope to the hopeless. He gave meaning and purpose to the lives of lost. The hope that I could see some of those things happen in my life is why I follow Christ. I believe that He was God in human form and if that makes me crazy I'm ok with that. I believe that He died and then rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. So if that makes me crazy, I'm still ok with that. I'm ok with the world looking at me and saying "you are a freak" or thinking that I am stupid or gullible. I make no apologies for my faith. I am not perfect. I am not always some shining example of everything that a Christian should be. But I am a work in progress. So anyways, I am constantly reminding myself lately why I allow myself to be associated with some of these people who I feel like are nothing like me and I completely disagree with them. It's because of Christ. It's because I can never be ashamed of Him or His name. His coolness way outshines the uncoolness of all the nutso Christians that ever existed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so true. Being more like Crist is really the key to the Christian life. I wish that I reacted more the way he would. Thanks for the reminder and reality check

HotMama said...

Hi,
I am not sure what time your fligt leaves today but I wanted to say I hope it is a safe one. I enjoyed seeing you this trip can't wait until Christmas. I just saw that you did open mic at mission. Wish I could have been there maybe next time Rman will be bigger and I will venture out to see you sing.

Stay Safe,
Robin

Anonymous said...

I guess divinity is revealed to everyone a little differently. Maybe its just where he needs to be right now on his spiritual journey?

On the other hand, maybe he's just slap crazy!

Dottie said...

Maybe Gary. You are more tolerant than I am, I guess. But when somebody messes with my family, it makes it really hard for me to tolerate them. You may be right and I'm just not able to look at it that way right now.

Jen! said...

Wow, Dottie. I love the way you wrote that. Echos my thoughts of why I am a Christian, too!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I was defending him, maybe just defending the fact in my opinion, that all humans are spiritual beings trying to make sense of a world with the information they have been given. I am troubled that a guy can read a sacred text and basically develop his own religion through his own interpretation, but it keeps the rest of us investigating our own journeys for truth and that can't be all bad. So far, one crazy, christian, exorcist, guy, cemented the thoughts and faiths of at least 3 or 4 Christians to re-affirm what they believe in the face of fanaticism. Hooray!

Dottie said...

You're right in that he is at least keeping me on my toes at least for the moment, which is a good thing even if it isn't always fun.
The whole situation is forcing me to not take for granted what I value and believe. So, yeah, some good has come out of it I suppose.