Friday, August 26, 2005

Commitment

Commitment is one of those things that I have a love/hate relationship with. Sometimes I thrive off of commitment. I love feeling like I truly believe in something or someone. I am truly dedicated to this particular whatever. However, sometimes commitment feels like a stone around my neck. Like this thing is binding me and holding me down against my will. And sometimes it is just scary. I feel like I will be committed, but whatever I'm committing myself to will eventually let me down in some way. And from that I will feel disillusioned, disappointed, and disoriented.

I find myself at a crossroad with something I have always felt deeply committed to . . . my family. In the past I guess I've had it pretty easy with my family. We have generally all gotten along well. We have always known that we love each other, support each other, and though we may disagree at times, we are always there for each other. Lately things feel a bit different. I can't explain it all. I can't understand it all. But I am committed. I couldn't give up on them, even if I really wanted to. If you think of it, pray for my family and this "transition period" or whatever it is.

3 comments:

WoundedHealer said...

Hey Dottie,

I will pray for all you guys.

Usually what happens in the family dynamics is that someone doesn't want to keep the "role" they have functioned in for so long. You may be a "peace-keeper". If you decide to get off the merry-go-round it upsets the family in that you are out of your "place" even if it is a place that you don't belong in.

It's good stuff - growth stuff. Stay the course.

Pete

Dottie said...

Thanks for the prayers and the perspective Pete.

Anonymous said...

Dots I'm glad you're committed to us. God is going to get us through this. Hopefully we won't have to be "committed" before it's all said and done. :)
Jules