Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A Few Random Thoughts

I didn't blog for a few days and I have stored up little things here and there that I want to write about.

First, Ramadan started yesterday. So far. . . I love it. The streets are filled with lights and lanterns, which is really nice. But the best part is 5:30ish to 7:00ish in the evening. All day during Ramadan, muslims fast. No food, no drink (not even water), no cigarettes, nothing. Then at 5:30 in the evening they break their fast. So every muslim is at home eating a their lovely Ramadan feasts. The streets are empty. For once it feels almost calm here. It is absolutely amazing. I rode the metro yesterday evening to meet some friends downtown. Normally, I would have a half hour ride to look forward to. On this ride I would most likely be standing up the whole way. I would most likely be shoulder to shoulder with women who, quite frankly, have B.O. I would most likely be hassled by somebody to buy something. And I would certainly have to ignore the fact that half of the people on the train were just staring at me. But not yesterday. Yesterday I had the entire car to myself!! It was mind boggling. I actually started talking out loud to myself because I just thought "when will I ever have this opportunity again?!" Anyway, Ramadan has it's down sides too, but so far it's ok by me.

Second, this is for the man I saw walking his dog this morning when I was on my way to work. Why was I embarassed when I tripped in front of you? Anyone can trip on accident. Everyone trips on accident from time to time. But you. . . you were the one who woke up this morning and actually thought "today is a good day for wearing neon green biker shorts." You should hang your head in shame.

Third, yesterday I met with two other songwriters for the first of hopefully many more songwriting sessions. It was nice. I felt like a vital part of me was woken up from a deep sleep.

1 comment:

patrick | steed said...

i love...LOVE...the fact that you started talking to yourself on the empty subway car. you're right, you'll probably never have that chance again.

great.