Thursday, September 29, 2005

Funny Story 2

I had a funny kid story happen today and I just have to share it.

We are doing a unit on poetry in my first grade class. Today we worked on writing our own poetry. We started with the basic poem
One, two
Buckle my shoe
Three, four
Shut the door
Five, six
Pick up sticks. . . etc.

So we started with the "one, two" and wrote the next line ourselves. The kids had to think of words that rhyme with two and went from there. So we get to "three, four". I ask the class if anyone can think of a word that rhymes with four. One little bot raises his hand high and I ask him what his word is. "Whore," he pronounces loudly. I think that I surely must have misheard him and ask him to repeat it. "Whore," he repeats with conviction. I think to myself that he must not know what that means and he has either made up the word in his head not realizing that it already is a word or has maybe even heard it before but has no idea of it's meaning. "Yes that rhymes with four. Can anyone think of another word that rhymes with four?" To my relief a girl blurts out, "Poor!" I quickly try to move on to her word and say , "Yes, that rhymes with four too. Let's think of a line that ends with the word poor." The little boy says, "but I said whore. . . like a lady." Hmmm. There goes my theory on him having no clue. "I'm sorry, but we can't use that word in our poem."

3 comments:

Wendy said...

LMAO!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god Dottie...how do you hold it together in that class? HA!

patrick | steed said...

um....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA