Monday, September 05, 2005

Love is in the air!

Well, I have a new boy coming into my class tomorrow. He came in briefly today to say hi to the rest of the class and look around at the school. After his appearance just before lunch, one of the girls in my class couldn't stop talking about how gorgeous he was. First I just try to control my laughter. After I get that under control, I'm thinking "You are too young for this!!!!" Then I thought "when did I get my first crush?" I am ashamed to say that my very first crush was when I was (gulp) 4 years old. My kindergarten class. His name was Dusty, Dusty Waters (weird name huh). I was the shortest girl in my class and he was the shortest boy, so I guess I just figured that we were made for each other.
I don't remember ever having crushes in first or second grade. Those were the first years of the hellish childhood years, the years where I had practically no friends and I was the butt of all classroom jokes. So I was too busy despising my peers to actually feel any sort of liking for anyone. But my first serious crush was when I was 8. I had a thing for my mom's best friend's son. His name was Benji. Our family would drive down to Florida every year to visit their family. I was a pretty intense kid I guess. I had a crush on this guy that I saw about one week every year, and I had a crush on him from the time I was 8 and for the next four years of my life! That just seems strange to me, but that was me. You know what else is strange? He had a rat tail. How could I ever find that attractive, even if it was the 80s/early 90s?

Do you remember your first crush?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad. Kindergarten. Had a class with him again several years later in high school and he turned out to be THE biggest goober in the world!

Jen! said...

Jimmy Stanislaus - 4th grade - I was a late bloomer in everything!!!