Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Starting New Things

Tonight, for the first time ever (I think). I led a small group (by small group I mean a church-related group of less than 15 people). I've literally been involved in church leadership in one way or another for the last 12 years of my life, but never leading a small group. Be it kinship group, cell group, home group, Bible study, or whatever. . . I've never led one. So tonight I started something totally new for me. It was nerve-wracking as anything, especially since I'm just meeting over half the group and the rest are little more than acquaintances. But I think it went well. I love meeting new people, so that part was nice. But the feeling like I'm talking or leading worship or leading prayer and setting the tone for the whole night and it just freaks you out. Are they bored? Do they know any of the songs I picked out? Do they think I'm stupid? Are they uncomfortable? Am I dominating conversation? Am I not talking enough? These are just a few of the questions that were racing through my head.
The best part of the night was that we didn't have a house to meet in tonight, so we took a short boat ride on the Nile. It was a hit. I felt like patting myself on the back, but then I remembered that it wasn't even my idea (Sara suggested it to me I think). Well, I gotta go now. Edward wants to play music with me. So I'll write ya later!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!! maybe i shouldn't tell you about the group i started in cairo; 15 showed up the first week...and 2 the next! but it all balanced out in the end, and was a good group...just like yours will be....ed k

WoundedHealer said...

Yeah Dottie!! I'm so proud of you. Keep me up on what you guys are doing and how the group goes. You will be great and your laugh always has a way of getting people to relax.

Anonymous said...

Dottie - I responded to this blog on the prior one. Too much Cairo pollution on the brain today.
Rosemary