Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Dahab to Alexandria

Well, my final trip to Dahab is over (sniff, sniff). I had a great time. Did a few dives. Snorkelled. Endured the hassle of the workers and one very drunk German man. Actually made my peace with the cats who constantly are after your food. Got a tan. Slept alot. Read The Color Purple. And talked to my mom and older sister on skype. The trip, as usual, was worth it. I am really gonna miss Dahab.

I am back in Cairo now, but only for about 24 hours total. In the morning I leave for Alexandria with Esther, Revo and Revo's sister (I forgot her name). I don't know how much I'll be able to blog while I'm in Alex. So if you don't hear from me for five days, it is most likely because I don't have internet access.

Other than that, my thoughts are mostly on going home. I think I'm starting to be ready for it. I will miss Cairo and my Egypt experience, but there are a lot of good things about going home. And Egypt, whilst being a load of fun in many ways, can definitely wear you thin sometimes. Here are some lists.
Reasons I am ready to leave Egypt. . .
1. I am tired of feeling like a freak show. White people are constantly stared at.
2. I am tired of always needing to be aware of other cultural backgrounds. I get sick of worrying whether I am offending someone in someway or if I have sent them the wrong message by my actions/words. Yes, you still have to be aware of this in the states, but on a much smaller scale.
3. I am tired of knowing in the back of my mind that I am leaving. It's hard for me to build on relationships with others when I know that my stay is temporary and many of the people I meet I may not see again. I'm sure others have a hard time building relationships with me, knowing that in a little while I'll be gone.

Reasons I am excited about home. . .
1. My family.
2. My friends.
3. Good mexican food.
4. Chick-fil-a (this vegetarian's weak spot).
5. All the modern conveniences (dryers, dishwashers, my hair straightener, central heating and air, my own car and the list could go on and on).

2 comments:

Veronica Leaptrott said...

Well Dottie Wottie, when you get home I take you to eat Mexican food. It's one of my favorites. It will be my treat.

HotMama said...

I WANNA GO!