Friday, July 14, 2006

It Must Be Love

I'm here in Dahab safe and sound. I didn't know it was possible to really love a place so much. As far as the otherplaces I've lived in or visited, I may love the place mostly for the people and memories I have there. In Dahab it's different. I could come here with any number of friends or with strangers or by myself and still have an absolutely wonderful time. Dahab is just beautiful. But I have to admit that Dahab was even better when Sara was here, she is my ultimate Dahab buddy.

Yesterday I got on the bus in Cairo at 4:50 in the afternoon with Renee (who I worked with at the school) and three of her friends. We finally arrvied in Dahab around about 3:00am. That is a hell of a bus trip, but only Dahab could be worth it all. After that we got settled in our hotel, which is the nicest one I've stayed at in all of my six trips to Dahab. We are staying at a place called the Bedouin Lodge. It is not extravagant, but it is clean. Renee and I are sharing a room and we have our own bathroom and a little balcony (with a lovely view overlooking the car park). Most importantly, it has an AC unit! As you can imagine, this is essential for the summer weather in the Sinai.

This trip I have vowed to do as cost efficient as possible (within reason). I brought my own kettle so I don't have to spend excess money on decent coffee. I am only eating out once/day and buying fruit and stuff at the grocery store for other meals. All of this is to justify spending lots of money on DIVING!!!

Anyhow, Dahab is pretty empty compared to other times I have been here. I'm not sure if it is all to do with the bombings last April or if it is a combination between that and the summer heat. Anyhow, it is kind of sad. There is this wonderful place with wonderful diving and snorkeling and desert trips, not to mention all the restuarants, shops, hotels, etc., and they are all quite empty. It's not totally deserted, but definitely doing a fraction of the business it had before. Oh Dahab, I still love you. I won't desert you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

to quote ms. reagon-
you have a heart of dahab :)
(dahab means gold in arabic to all you non living in egypt peeps)i think we should all make plans to marry in dahab...that way we have to go back...or maybe you could just marry one of the internet/restaurant/diving guys...then i will promise to come visit you very often
love
sara

Anonymous said...

We went in the summer two years ago (early July) and it was really quiet. It is probably partly the time of year. Have a SUPER time, and drink an iced coffee for breakfast for me, k?
Love ya,
H.

Tater said...

Most of the tourist in Dahab when I was there were Israeli... Think they're a little busy now... Plus ME wars and recent terrorist attacks tend to put a damper on the tourist trade.

I went on a Nile Cruise just after the Luxor bombing in '97. We practically owned the whole boat. Made for a GREAT vacation, but had to feel sorry for all the locals depending on the tourist trade. Their livelihood was demolished for some time.

Don't forget to post some pics now! Have fun!

Kareem Henein said...

Can u please say hi to the lion fish, the zebras, the parrot fish and any octopus u come across for me?? Have a wonderful time dear ;)

Dottie said...

A marriage to a Dahab worker could easily be arranged. Gee, wouldn't that be nice. We could end up with guys whose opening line is "Let's go make babies." Aren't we such lucky girls?

Heather,
Will do!!!