Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Welcome to Junior High

My life today has been a junior high tv special.

Scene 1:
(Friend calls me on the phone)
Friend: Hey how was . . . blah, blah, blah, none of anybodies business?
Me: Oh yeah it was good . . . blah, blah, blah, irrelevant information. . . but I don't think that me and so and so get along very well.
Friend: Yeah, I got that.
Me: How did you get that? Did he say he didn't like me????? (shocked and horrified because nobody ever says they don't like me and I am a compulsive people pleaser)
Friend: Well, he thought maybe he had upset you.
Me: Well. . . he was kind of annoying and you know how my emotions are always written all over my face.
The phone conversation went on for another 15 minutes discussing the details of the situation.

Scene 2: 20 minutes later
(Friend calls back)
Me: Hey, whats up?
Friend: Well, don't worry I called so and so. He wasn't there but I left a message with his friend to tell him that you are not upset with him and that his comments and suggestions were very helpful, but you were just annoyed with his way of presenting them (or some BS like that).
Me: So did he talk to you after that.
Friend: Yes, he wanted to know the exact details of what you said and wondered if I was feeding words into your mouth.
Me: But he knows I'm not mad at him right. This really isn't the big deal that it is being made into.
We continue laughing for five minutes about the rediculousness of this he said/she said craziness.
(So and so and his friend who took the message walk into my friend's office whilst we are laughing hysterically on the phone (he works in the same building as her).)
Friend: Oh guess who just walked in (she puts me on speaker phone). . . so and so and his friend (so and so #2).
Me: Hi!
So and so: Hi Dottie!
(Friend and so and so talk briefly about whatever they need to.)
So and so: Bye Dottie!
Me: Bye so and so!
(So and so and so and so #2 leave the room. This is followed by bursts of giggling from me and friend.)

No comments: