Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Birthday Week

I am of the opinion that during the week of your birthday you should do at least one thing that is completely spontaneous, spend as much time as possible with people you really enjoy, let go of feelings of responsibility for at least 5 consecutive hours, and laugh heartily as often as you can.

For my birthday this year, I met and surpassed these goals. It has really been one of my most fun, memorable weeks in Cairo. And that's really saying something, since Sara isn't even here anymore.

Sunday night I went to the rugby club with my friend Chelsie to watch the world cup games. We ended up making some new friends there and staying out till 4:30 in the morning (which is unheard of for me, these days I am normally in bed and asleep by 10:30.

Monday was my b-day. I managed to wake up and go to work. We were all a little cranky at work this week. It was our last week and so we have all been feeling the stress of getting those final bits and pieces and loose ends put together and in place. Anyways, we had a farewell lunch for the staff that day and it was very nice. Also, I got tons of ecards and emails (1 from Dorothee, 1 from Hanson, 1 from my sister and her family, 1 from Gary and 15 from Chelsie) and Chelsie also brought flowers for me to work. That night we had a dinner party at Chelsie's house. We ate koshari, played pool, danced, smoked sheisha, and had an all around good time.

Tuesday was work again and the impending feeling that I would never accomplish all the things I needed to by the end of the week was growing. Still I put in my days work and went over to one of my coworkers apartment for dinner and a movie. It was Lesley, Dorothee, Heather, Kelvin and myself that ended up going over to Irini's. We had a great time and Irini has a cute little girl (about 4 years old) who spent a good part of the night using me as a lifesize barbie doll and fixing my hair. We watched "Walk the Line", which I have been wanting to see for ages. It was really another nice evening. The time crept up on us all and I was shocked to realize when I got home that it was 2:30 in the morning.

Wednesday another day at work. I started to really feel that I would get the important tasks accomplished and that the only things that might not get done were fairly inconsequential. It was a good feeling. That night I got to talk to Sara on the phone, which made my month. And late that night I went out dancing with Matthew, Dorothee, Lesley and Kareem. We had an absolute blast. We went to After 8 to hear the Riff Band (my favorite). I ended up staying there until about 3:00am and then going on a spontaneous feluka ride on the Nile. It was again 4:30 in the morning before I g0t home. Unbelievable.

Thursday I still managed at work, even though I had probably only slept a total of 15 hours this week. And I even managed to get all of my work done. A very, very good feeling. That night I took it easy. I went home, napped, watched a movie I borrowed from a friend and went back to sleep.

Friday lunch was a farewell lunch for my roommate, who unexpectedly learned that she has to move back to England in 4 days time (a long story). Friday dinner was watching the Germany/Argentina game at TGI Friday's with a group of friends (yay Germany!). And after that I went over to Heather and Kelvin's place for a movie night. It was great. Heather and I stayed up until 3:00 watching funny, girly movies. I spent the night here and now we are about to watch another movie! I love this week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah! glad you are having a good time..you are going to miss cairo ma dear :) guess what i have skype...i am just not sure how it works..whats your number or name or whatever you need to call someone
love sara

Dottie said...

dottie2233. . . what's your name?

Kareem Henein said...

That wednessday I sure had loads of fun, seems like ur magic birthday is working on well for us all ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, well, I have to say I had a great time watching movies too. I always enjoy watching them with you, Dottie. You help me appreciate the nuttier side of life!
(P. S. I had a good cry after you left!)
Love ya/
Heather :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and don't foget to be "unspeakably fatal" from now on!
H.

Dottie said...

I love you Heather!!!!!